Defense Ministry: no trespassing of Russian border by foreign aircraft registered in 2014

January 03,  MOSCOW
Radio technicians of the Russian Air Force controlled the flights of over 380,000 aircraft over Russia’s territory last year

© ITAR-TASS

MOSCOW, January 3. /TASS/. The Russian military did not register any trespassing of the state border by foreign aircraft or helicopters last year, the Defense Ministry spokesman for the Air Force, Col. Igor Klimov said on Saturday.

Radio technicians of the Russian Air Force controlled the flights of over 380,000 aircraft over Russia’s territory last year, he said.

“No trespassing of the state border by foreign aircraft or breach of the rules of Russia’s air space use by domestic operators was registered,” the Defense Ministry spokesman said.

Advertisements

Russia to Hold Large-Scale Strategic Rocket Drills in September: Defense Ministry

The Russian Defense Ministry announced on Wednesday that it will hold large-scale strategic missile exercises with more than 4,000 personnel and over 4,000 pieces of hardware and aviation in September.

03/09/2014 
 

MOSCOW, September 3 (RIA Novosti) – The Russian Defense Ministry announced on Wednesday that it will hold large-scale strategic missile exercises with more than 4,000 personnel and over 4,000 pieces of hardware and aviation in September.

“In compliance with the plans of training the Strategic Rocket Forces in September 2014, large-scale command exercises will be held with the Barnaul Missile Division [in the Altai Region],” Maj. Dmitry Andreyev, a spokesman for the Defense Ministry’s Strategic Rocket Forces, said.

“There will be more than 4,000 military personnel and around 400 pieces of hardware involved in the exercises,” Andreyev said.

 

 

New Russian Anti-Aircraft Module Capable of Locating 15 Targets Per Second

GAZ "Tigr" armored vehicle

10:41 14/08/2014 
 

ZHUKOVSKY, MOSCOW REGION, August 14 (RIA Novosti) – A unique Russian GAZ Tigr chassis-mounted anti-aircraft command module, can simultaneously locate 15 targets per second, a representative for the Scientific-Industrial Enterprise Rubin told RIA Novosti on Thursday.

“The Defense Ministry has demanded to urgently create this vehicle. They have come up with the basic design directives. The hardware’s task is to provide covering fire for the units marching in the near zone of the contact with an adversary. The vehicle deploys for action within five minutes,” Rubin’s representative said.

He added that the vehicle has its own reconnaissance assets and is capable of autonomous work. Along with this, target assignment takes no longer than one second. The hardware can work at temperatures from minus 50 to 60 degrees Celsius (minus 58 to 32 degrees Fahrenheit).

“This is an independently developed prototype. We are currently in talks over its trials with the Defense Ministry, in the follow-up of which we will decide whether to launch a series line production. It [the module] is exhibited for the first time, and it has no analogues in Russia today,” the source said.

Previously, Russian troops armed with man-portable air defense systems have not had a command and target indication vehicle available, acting autonomously. The introduction of such hardware allows the troops to receive more precise target data.

“We are trying to stick to the policy of using purely Russian components, in the context of the latest sanctions introduced against our country,” added the enterprise’s officer.

Rubin’s representative stressed that the development was carried out in a timely manner, starting in mid-2013 and delivering a prototype in May 2014. The vehicle was presented to the Defense Ministry at a command post rehearsal at the 76th Guards Air Assault Division based in Pskov, receiving a few suggestions on improving its construction and capability.

Russia Invites Military Attaches from 18 Countries Over Ukraine Shelling

On Sunday, at least seven mortars were fired from Ukrainian territory into Russia, leaving one man dead and two women injured

15/07/2014
  

MOSCOW, July 15 (RIA Novosti) – The Russian Defense Ministry on Tuesday invited military attaches from 18 countries, including from the US and Germany, to assess the situation on the Russian-Ukrainian border that has been hit multiple times by Ukrainian artillery.

Deputy Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Antonov stressed that Ukraine “cynically denies indubitable facts and is doing everything to reject accusations of the shelling of the Russian territory.”

“The Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation has registered a growth in the number of shelling directed at populated areas in Russia near the [Ukrainian] border fired from Ukrainian territory,” the deputy defense minister said.

“In line with this, we have invited the attaches of 18 countries accredited in Moscow to visit the region on July 15, 2014,” he said.

On Sunday, at least seven mortars were fired from Ukrainian territory into Russia, leaving one man dead and two women injured, one of them seriously.

 

Antonov specified that military attaches from the US, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Belgium, Ukraine, China, Japan and others were notified of the invitation.

“We consider the upcoming event as another goodwill gesture of the Russian side confirming our view toward openness with regards to military activity and another attempt to convey to the international community the real state of affairs surrounding the Russian-Ukrainian border,” Antonov said.

Roland Bless, a spokesman from the OSCE, told RIA Novosti earlier that a decision on sending the observers will be taken if consensus is reached among the 57 OSCE member states.

The Russian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Monday it had invited OSCE monitors to Russia’s Gukovo and Donetsk crossing points on the Russia-Ukraine border as a goodwill gesture, without waiting for a ceasefire to be established.

Russia Mulls Banning US Nuclear Arms Inspections – Source

Russia Mulls Banning US Nuclear Arms Inspections – Source

MOSCOW, March 9 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s Defense Ministry is considering a ban on US inspections of Russian nuclear weapons under the New START deal over the standoff in Ukraine, a ministry source told RIA Novosti on Saturday.

The ban would be a reaction to the US decision to suspend military cooperation with Russia over Ukraine, said the source, who requested anonymity.

Russia has vehemently opposed Ukraine’s pro-Western government that was installed last month following street clashes between police and the opposition led by far-right nationalist groups.

Russia was also accused of backing separatists in the Ukrainian Republic of Crimea – which is planning to secede – and deploying thousands of troops there, though official Moscow has denied sending troops to the pro-Russian region.

The New START, signed in 2010 by US President Barack Obama and his Russian then-counterpart Dmitry Medvedev, envisages curbing nuclear arsenals of both countries by half by 2021.

The treaty’s implementation is overseen, in addition to satellite and remote monitoring, by 18 on-site inspections a year.

The United States has not conducted any inspections under the New START since the start of this year, according to the US Department of State’s website.

Russia to Strengthen Mediterranean Force With ‘Stealth’ Subs

Russia to Strengthen Mediterranean Force With ‘Stealth’ Subs

MOSCOW, February 20 (RIA Novosti) – The combat capability of Russia’s naval task force in the Mediterranean will increase significantly following the first deliveries of Varshavyanka-class submarines to the Black Sea Fleet in 2015, Navy Commander Adm. Viktor Chirkov said Thursday.

Russia formed a permanent naval task force in the Mediterranean last year to defend its interests in the region. The move was widely seen, however, as a response to calls for international intervention in the worsening civil war in Syria, Russia’s longtime ally.

The task force currently consists of 12 warships and auxiliary vessels, including the nuclear-powered missile cruiser Pyotr Veliky and aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov.

According to Chirkov, the Russian warships are taking part in an international operation to remove chemical weapons stockpiles from Syria.

“In general, the tasks assigned to the Mediterranean group are absolutely clear: to thwart any threat to Russia’s borders and security,” the admiral said, adding that it is normal practice for any country to keep naval assets in vital regions around the globe.

Chirkov said that the first Varshavyanka-class diesel-electric submarine, the Novorossiisk, will join the Black Sea Fleet in 2015.

The Defense Ministry has ordered a total of six Varshavyanka-class subs, dubbed “black holes in the ocean” by the US Navy because they are nearly undetectable when submerged.

According to the Admiralty shipyard in St. Petersburg, the second and third subs in the series will be floated out in May and June, respectively, “to be delivered to the customer by yearend.”

Сonstruction of the fourth submarine – the Krasnodar – began at the shipyard Thursday.

The Varshavyanka-class (Project 636) is an improved version of the Kilo-class submarines and features advanced stealth technology, extended combat range and the ability to strike land, surface and underwater targets.

The submarines are mainly intended for anti-shipping and anti-submarine missions in relatively shallow waters.

The vessels, crewed by 52 submariners, have an underwater speed of 20 knots and a cruising range of 400 miles (650 kilometers) with the ability to patrol for 45 days. They are armed with 18 torpedoes and eight surface-to-air missiles.

The Black Sea Fleet has not received new submarines for decades and currently operates only one boat: the Kilo-class Alrosa, which joined the navy in 1990.

After Series of Delays, Russia Launches New Soyuz Rocket

After Series of Delays, Russia Launches New Soyuz Rocket

MOSCOW, December 28 (RIA Novosti) – A new Soyuz rocket blasted off from the Plesetsk space center in northern Russia on Saturday after numerous delays earlier this week, the Russian Defense Ministry said.

The ministry said the launch took place at 16:30 Moscow time (12:30 GMT).

The rocket put into designated orbit a small research satellite built by students and young scientists.

The new rocket, dubbed the Soyuz-2.1v, is to feature a completely reworked first stage powered by a NK-33 (14D15) rocket engine built by the NK Engines Company in the Russian city of Samara. The rocket lacks the characteristic four boosters that Soyuz and its ancestors have had since the R-7 missile that launched Sputnik in 1957.

The launch was originally scheduled for Monday and was delayed first until Tuesday and then until Wednesday due to concern over a possible malfunction of one of the rocket’s engines.

A Russian defense official, Colonel Dmitry Zenin, said later on Wednesday the launch was postponed again and will take place sometime next year.

A state commission that gathered on Saturday morning, decided to launch the rocket at 14:00, but it was also cancelled minutes before the planned blastoff.

The Soyuz, the most frequently launched rocket in the world, has undergone more than 1,700 launches since its debut in 1966. It is one of only two rockets worldwide that are capable of sending astronauts into orbit, the other being the Chinese Long March 2F.