Man Who Wrote About US Nukes Moving From Turkey Stands by His Report

The Hound Dog was an air-launched supersonic nuclear missile designed to destroy heavily defended ground targets.

 

Georgi Gotev, the author of an article about the US transferring its nuclear weapons in Turkey to Romania, insists that the information obtained from his own sources can be trusted, and promised to follow up on this subject.

“I’m sure that my sources are trustworthy, that’s why I wrote this article. I realize that the Romanian authorities are denying this. I knew they would as I contacted them before I published it. This is a secret matter, but I thought that my sources are reliable enough to justify the publication of this information,” Georgi Gotev, a journalist working with the news portal EurActiv.com, said in an interview with online newspaper Romania Libera.He said he planned a follow up story on this subject even though everything he writes about Romania invariably causes a scandal.

Georgi said that after the transfer of US nuclear bombs from the Incirlik air base came against the background of worsening relations between Washington and Ankara. “After the recent failed coup Turkey is exiting the western camp and is turning towards Russia,” Gotev noted.

“This is a tectonic movement that is bigger than a mere transfer of weapons, even nuclear. There is an extremely dynamic geopolitical context here. The Moscow-Ankara-Tehran axis now in the making would radically change the situation the region,” he emphasized.

Earlier, the Brussels-based online paper EurActive.com reported citing its own sources, that the United States had started transferring its nuclear munitions in Turkey to the Derveselu air base in Romania.

Romania dismissed the report as untrue. Another source told EurActiv.com that relations between Washington and Ankara had deteriorated so much since last month’s failed coup that the US no longer trusted Turkey to host nuclear weapons.

In an interview with RIA Novosti, Georgi Gotev said that he had been advised not to go ahead with the publication he had received from his own sources.,

“Before publishing this material I consulted with geopolitical guru George Friedman (the founder of the US independent research center Stratfor). He advised me not to publish this because no one in the know of the matter would say anything because, otherwise they could wind up in jail for 30 years,” Georgi said.

According to one source, the transfer of nuclear weapons is a highly challenging process, both technically and politically.

“It’s not easy to move 20+ nukes,” said the source, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Advertisements

Berlin to Step Up Security of German Soldiers at Turkey’s Incirlik Base

A technician works on a German Tornado jet at the air base in Incirlik, Turkey, on January 21, 2016

 

Berlin has decided to take additional measures for protection of German soldiers deployed at Incirlik military base in Turkey after the attempted coup, German media reported on Tuesday.

      According to Deutsche Welle broadcaster, the decision came after the Turkish authorities said they could not guarantee security in the air space over the country’s south and would authorize only planes equipped with missile protection system to leave the military base.

Incirlik military base is used by the United States and shelters combat planes of the US-led coalition launching airstrikes in Syria and Iraq against the Daesh group outlawed in many countries, including Russia.

After a faction in Turkish armed forces attempted a coup on July 15, which was thwarted later in the day, Gen. Bekir Ercan Van, former commander of Incirlik airbase, was arrested due to alleged involvement in the plot.

Pro-Erdogan Islamist Paper Said US General Led Coup Prior to NATO Base Fire

Major NATO Base Fire in Izmir, Turkey

 

The Yeni Safak newspaper printed a picture of a US military commander it claims led the attempt to overthrow the Erdogan government only hours before a massive blaze broke out near a NATO base.

On Sunday, hours before a massive blaze broke out near the NATO base in the western Turkish town of Izmir, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s primary print publication for his Islamist supporters – Yeni Safak, printed the image of NATO International Security Assistance Force Commander Army General John F. Campbell accusing the US military official of plotting the coup against Erdogan in league with US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.The conservative Turkish daily newspaper is known for its hardline support of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP). The newspaper is known for inciting violence and spreading disinformation about Gezi protesters during the 2013-2014 protests in Turkey, threatening journalists for other news outlets saying “they will pay a heavy price for treason,” and fabricating interviews.

Yet the newspaper does have a strong pro-Erdogan and Islamist reader base serving as a critical outlet for the Turkish government to influence views and actions of the people of Turkey and to incite a reaction.

Hours after the publication of the article, the NATO military base in Izmir became victim of a mass fire that continues to rage on at this hour despite desperate attempts by forces to contain the blaze using helicopter and airplane water drops. The fire threatens US munitions stockpiles at the base which could result in a severe exacerbation of the fire, loss of expensive weaponry, and safety dangers.

The fire, which has already burnt through an elderly nursing home, is being investigated by officials as an act of anti-American sabotage according to local reports.

The US maintains a stockpile of as many as 90 tactical nuclear weapons in Turkey, more than in any other foreign country, but the atomic bombs are not threatened by the current blaze in Turkey. Those weapons are stored at a different base in Incirlik and reportedly no such munitions are stored at Izmir.

What’s Behind Washington Pulling 12 Fighter Jets From Turkish Base?

U.S. Air Force F-15E Strike Eagle sits after shortly landing Nov. 12, 2015, at Incirlik Air Base, Turkey

 

In the latest sign of Turkey’s increasing isolation, the United States has announced plans to remove 12 fighter jets from Incirlik air base.

According to Reuters, a spokesman with the US military’s European Command has confirmed that the US will withdraw 12 F-15 Eagles and Strike Eagle fighters from Turkey. The spokesman said that the aircraft had completed temporary deployment, despite having only been moved to Incirlik air base one month ago.

According to a news release, the aircraft will be returning to RAF Lakenheath in the United Kingdom, beginning December 16.

Earlier this year, both the US and Germany also withdrew surface-to-air missile batteries stationed along the Turkey-Syria border.

The sudden withdrawal is surprising given that the Pentagon had previously encouraged European allies to use Incirlik as a staging platform for the anti-terror campaign.

“We are in an active conversation with many of our European partners about the potential for them to relocate and to join us on the ground in Incirlik,” Gen. John Allen told the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in October.

The announcement comes as Turkey faces international condemnation over the downing of Russian bomber in Syrian airspace last month. The incident left two Russian soldiers dead.

“I was immediately concerned that NATO might buy into the insanity being demonstrated by Turkey,” former CIA and US State Department official Larry Johnson told Sputnik. “Fortunately, the reports coming out of the NATO meeting indicate that several of the NATO ministers were asking Turkey: ‘What in God’s name were you thinking?'”

Turkey is also under fire for its decision to deploy hundreds of troops and tanks into northern Iraq, a move the Iraqi government views as a breach of its own sovereignty.

“The government is committed to maintain good neighborly relations, but at the same time reiterates its right to take measures to protect national sovereignty,” the Iraqi government said in a statement.

Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi gave Ankara 48 hours to remove its troops, but Turkey has failed to comply. The United Nations Security Council is currently reviewing a formal complaint lodged by Baghdad.