Source: C-300 components for Syria’s will be used for other contracts

28.08.2014 RIA Novosti

 Part of the components of the S-300 for  Syria will be disposed  at the site, and some will be used for other contracts, RIA Novosti was told on Tuesday by a source in Russia’s “defense industry”.

Earlier in August, the deputy director of the Federal Service for Military-Technical Cooperation Konstantin Biryulin told to  reporters that the S-300, intended for Syria, will be partially recycled. The contract for the supply to  Iran with S-300 also  frozen and it  may require the RF  the penalty of $ 4 billion.

 

Advertisements

Russia Sees NATO as Partner, Does Nothing to Oppose Alliance’s Baltic Deployment – Expert

 28/08/2014 
 

WASHINGTON, August 28 (RIA Novosti), Lyudmila Chernova – The deployment of NATO forces to new bases in Eastern Europe could have been seen coming as Russia did nothing to oppose the move, and instead refers to the alliance and its member states as “esteemed colleagues,” believes Rick Rozoff, manager of the Stop NATO international network.

“The reason why this has occurred is because the Russian government has done nothing to oppose it – not even verbally – instead regularly referring to NATO and its member states as Russia’s ‘valued partners,’ ‘esteemed colleagues,’ etc., etc., ad nauseam,” Rozoff told RIA Novosti on Wednesday.

Rozoff underlined that the United States and NATO already have bases, including air bases, in most of the seven nations absorbed into NATO in 2004 at the NATO summit in Istanbul Turkey: Bulgaria, Romania, Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

“They also have control of air bases in Hungary and Poland. The air bases in Lithuania and Estonia allow NATO warplanes to strike Russia’s two largest cities in a matter of mere minutes,” Rozoff said.

Next week, NATO members are scheduled to meet in Wales to discuss the alliance’s response to Russia, which it accuses of interfering in Ukrainian affairs.

Earlier, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen told European journalists that the alliance intends to deploy forces in Eastern Europe in response to the ongoing conflict in Ukraine, and to counter the threat posed by Russia to the Baltic republics, which were previously part of the Soviet Union.

On Sunday, Germany’s Der Spiegel reported that Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia felt threatened by Russia’s intervention in Ukraine and feared what they described as Russian aggression.

Ahead of the NATO summit at the end of next week, the four countries have urged the military bloc to mention Moscow as a potential aggressor in its summit communique.

Russia’s Permanent Mission to NATO told RIA Novosti on Monday that Moscow has no plans to participate in any activities during the NATO summit in Wales.

NATO formations on Russian borders will impact Moscow’s decision-making – envoy

                                                       

 
 
Iskander.(RIA Novosti / Alexei Danichev)

Iskander.(RIA Novosti / Alexei Danichev)

 

Following NATO’s aggressive military posturing in Eastern Europe, Russian envoy to the alliance warned that the “configuration and activity” of its forces will impact how Russia proceeds with its own security planning and considerations.

“Obviously, we will take into consideration the configuration and activity of the NATO forces at the Russian borders in our military planning, and will take all that is necessary to reliably provide security and to ensure safety against any threats,” Russian media quotedAlexander Grushko citing Interfax news agency.

The statement by the Russian envoy follows on from the Cold War military alliance’s intention to put up more bases in Eastern Europe and the Baltic in order to counter an ‘overt’ Russian threat – despite objections from a number of NATO members.

NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen nonetheless said the 26-nation bloc will attempt to overcome the objections.

Alexander Glushko.(RIA Novosti / Grigoriy Sisoev)

Alexander Glushko.(RIA Novosti / Grigoriy Sisoev)

“We have something already called the NATO response force, whose purpose is to be able to be deployed rapidly if needed,” he said in a statement to the European press. “Now it’s our intention to develop what I would call a spearhead within that response force at very, very high readiness. In order to be able to provide such rapid reinforcements you also need some reception facilities in host nations. So it will involve the pre-positioning of supplies, of equipment, preparation of infrastructure, bases [and] headquarters.”

Grushko told journalists that Russia has always shown a readiness for open dialogue with the United States on a whole spectrum of issues of non-proliferation and arms control, including those of the INF Treaty.

Russia: We don’t want the Arctic to become arena of conflict

                                                        

 
NS 50 Let Pobedy nuclear-powered icebreaker sailing toward the North Pole. (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Astapkovich)

NS 50 Let Pobedy nuclear-powered icebreaker sailing toward the North Pole. (RIA Novosti / Vladimir Astapkovich)

Russian foreign minister Sergey Lavrov attempted to dampen the escalating rhetoric around the Arctic, after his Canadian counterpart said his country was ready “to protect its sovereignty” in the resource-rich region.

“The Arctic shouldn’t be dragged into the rhetoric of militarization,” the Russian official said during a Q & A at the Seliger youth forum in central Russia.

“There are accusations flying about that we are trying to make a land-grab during a latter-day gold rush. This is nonsense. We don’t want the Arctic to become an arena of conflict.”

Lavrov’s answer was a response to comments attributed to Canada’s foreign minister John Baird, who told Denmark’s Berlingske newspaper earlier this week that Ottawa was “determined to promote and defend the sovereignty of Canada in the Arctic” in the face of the Russian threat, manifested in the reactivation of a Soviet-era base off its north-eastern coast, and fly-bys by Russian aircraft.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov (RIA Novosti / Evgeny Biyatov)

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov (RIA Novosti / Evgeny Biyatov)

“Baird’s press service has tried to say that his comments were lost in translation and misunderstood. But I do not think this is the case – he has a reputation for such flourishes,” said Lavrov.

The veteran diplomat suggested that the Arctic Council – which includes Russia, Canada, the US, Denmark, and Norway, the five Polar Circle countries – should take the lead role in establishing the framework for the development of the region.

“This is the legitimate format, which allows the five countries to establish their rules for interaction in the region.”

The territories beyond the Polar Circle are thought to contain 15 percent of the world’s oil, and 30 percent of its gas, according to US Geological Survey research.

Canada's Foreign Minister John Baird (Reuters / Soe Zeya Tun)

Canada’s Foreign Minister John Baird (Reuters / Soe Zeya Tun)

“When we get together in the framework of this forum, no one ever mentions any conflicts and confrontations. Everyone is interested in preserving cooperation and international law as the basic principles for exploration and development of the region,” emphasized Lavrov.

Canada boycotted the Moscow meeting of the Council this April, in protest against events leading to the secession of Crimea from Ukraine.

The two countries, which already have the largest slice of the Arctic, are in the process of lodging applications to the UN that would extend their 200 mile nautical border further, if they manage to definitively prove that parts of the Arctic are extensions of their own continents, covered only by a shallow mass of water. Canada submitted an initial claim late last year, while Russia, which first laid claim to the land near the North Pole in 2001, will hand in a beefed up application next year.

The Prirazlomnaya oil rig in the Barents Sea (RIA Novosti / Igor Podgornyi)

The Prirazlomnaya oil rig in the Barents Sea (RIA Novosti / Igor Podgornyi)

“The formalization of our rights granted by the Russian continental Arctic shelf is nearing completion. This will be a long procedure but we’re confident we have all the legal grounds for formalizing our rights to the entire continental shelf in the Arctic Ocean,” said Lavrov.

The Russian diplomat also attempted to assuage concerns that the ecologically unique territory will be at the mercy of oil-producing countries, as all five nations have extraction projects in the region at various stages of completion.

The Arctic Council recently took a decision to admit observer countries. This was a long process. But now we are joined by various EU states, China, India, Japan, and Korea. Though of course, the final decisions will be in the hands of the five leading players.”

Lavrov also launched a barb at Greenpeace, one of the most vocal opponents of Arctic development, which had its ship temporarily seized while boarding a gas extraction platform off the Russian coast last year.

“Greenpeace can rest easy – we share its concerns about oil spills and the ecological situation of this region. But unlike their attention-seeking protests, we are doing all the practical work.”

“Black Hole” to be launched on August 28

26.08.2014

Photo from www.en.port.ru

Submarine “Stary Oskol” to be launched on August 28 at the Admiralty Shipyards in St. Petersburg, Interfax reported, citing the Ministry of Defense.

“Stary Oskol” is the third multi-purpose diesel-electric submarine of the series 636.3, for his reticence it has received NATO’s nickname “Black Hole”. The boat is the most low noise one in the world, it has the optimal combination of target detection range and acoustic stealth, equipped with an automatic information-management system and a modern navigation system.

Thanks to powerful missile torpedoes the “Black Hole” is the world’s leading non-nuclear submarines.

Russia’s Chief of the General Staff to discuss military cooperation with SCO

“Participants in the conference will analyse the results of cooperation over the past year, consider matters aimed at further developing interaction among the Armed Forces of the SCO member-states

 
© ITAR-TASS

MOSCOW, August 27./ITAR-TASS/. General of the Army Valery Gerasimov, Chief of the General Staff of Russia’s Armed Forces, will attend a conference of the Chiefs of the General Staff of the member-countries of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO). The conference will take place in Beijing on August 28, an official at the Russian Defense Ministry’s press-service and information department told ITAR-TASS.

 

“Participants in the conference will analyse the results of cooperation over the past year, consider matters aimed at further developing interaction among the Armed Forces of the SCO member-states, and exchange views on topical international and regional security problems,” the Department official said.

During his working visit, Gerasimov will hold talks with Colonel General Fang Fehuei, Chief of the General Staff of the People’s Liberation Army of China, and Colonel General Fan Changlung, Deputy Chairman of the Central Military Council of the People’s Republic of China.

The Chiefs of the General Staff of SCO countries will be received by Chinese President Xi Jingpin.

 

On August 29, the military delegations will watch the concluding phase of joint anti-terror exercises, the Peace Mission – 2014, which began in China on August 24. The exercises are involving about 7,000 military men from Russia, China, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, and Tajikistan. Russia is represented by over 1,000 servicemen provided, in particular, with T-72 tanks, BMP-2 combat infantry vehicles, rocket-assisted salvo firing systems Grad (hail) and self-propelled gun mounts Acacia.

Four attack aircraft Su-25, eight helicopters Mi-8AMTSh, and two military transportation planes Ilyushin-76 are also taking part in the anti-terror exercises on the Russian side.

US has ‘no plans’ to coordinate with Syria airstrikes against Islamic State

mideastrussia

                                                        

Reuters / Tech. Sgt. Effrain Lopez

Reuters / Tech. Sgt. Effrain Lopez

The US has already began surveillance flights over Syria, American officials say, as Washington contemplates airstrikes against Islamic State targets and confirms there are no plans to coordinate anti-terror attacks with the Syrian government.

In light of steady advances of the jihadist Islamic State (IS) across Syria and Iraq, the US Department of Defense is considering a number of options for president Obama to consider, including airstrikes against militant positions, similar to those the US has recently carried out against IS in Iraq.

One US official, speaking on condition of anonymity told AP that reconnaissance flights have already began in Syria, after two officials claimed Monday that Obama had covertly approved such flights. Another official earlier claimed that the administration needs reliable intelligence on the ground in Syria before any airstrikes are ordered.

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General…

View original post 350 more words