Russia Commissions New Attack Submarine

Russia Commissions New Attack Submarine

MOSCOW, December 30 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s first Project 885M Yasen-class attack submarine, the Severodvinsk, was handed over to the navy on Monday, a defense industry source told RIA Novosti.

The submarine, designated as Graney-class by NATO, had been under construction at the Sevmash shipyard in northern Russia since 1993.

“The delivery acceptance certificate for the first Yasen was signed at Sevmash on December 30,” the source said.

The Severodvinsk is one of eight Yasen-class attack boats ordered by the Russian navy. The second and third subs of the series, the Kazan and the Novosibirsk, are being built under the updated Project 885M Yasen-M design.

The Severodvinsk has a submerged displacement of 13,800 tons, length of 119 meters, speed of 31 knots, and can dive to 600 meters. It has a crew of 90 including 32 officers.

Its main armament consists of 24 Oniks (SS-N-26) and Kalibr (SS-N-27) cruise missiles, self-guided torpedoes and mines.

Meanwhile, the Northern Fleet said Monday that the Smolensk, a Project 949A (Oscar II-class) nuclear-powered attack submarine, had rejoined the fleet after two years of repairs and upgrading at the Zvyozdochka shipyard in northern Russia.

Built in 1990, the Smolensk has a length of 155 meters, displacement of up to 24,000 tons, operating depth of 600 meters, and maximum submerged speed of 32 knots. It is armed with 24 P-700 Granit (SS-N-19 Shipwreck) supersonic cruise missiles with a range of 550 kilometers (300 nautical miles).

Another Oscar II-class attack submarine, the Voronezh, returned to the Northern Fleet in November 2011 after a similar overhaul.

Russia’s Northern Fleet Deploys New Borey-Class Nuclear Subs

Russia’s Northern Fleet Deploys New Borey-Class Nuclear Subs

MOSCOW, December 30 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s two newest ballistic missile submarines arrived at their home base in the Arctic on Monday to begin active service with the Northern Fleet, the Defense Ministry said.

The Borey-class submarine Yury Dolgoruky was commissioned in January while the second of the type, the Alexander Nevsky, entered service on December 23.

Both submarines will operate from the Northern Fleet’s main nuclear submarine base at Gadzhiyevo, Murmansk Region, the ministry said.

The Borey is Russia’s first post-Soviet ballistic missile submarine class and will form the mainstay of the strategic submarine fleet, replacing aging Typhoon, Delta-3 and Delta-4 class boats. Russia ultimately expects eight Borey-class submarines to enter service by 2020.

The third vessel in the class, the Vladimir Monomakh, is awaiting manufacturer’s acceptance trials.

The new Borey-class boats, with a length of nearly two football fields, can carry sixteen Bulava missiles, each fitted with up to ten independently-targetable nuclear warheads.

Bulava, however, is yet to be declared fully operational, following a problem with a test-firing earlier this year, a Defense Ministry high command source told RIA Novosti in November. The Borey class boats are likely to be restricted to carrying out secondary roles until the weapon is declared ready, the source said at that time.

Ballistic missile submarines comprise one leg of Russia’s strategic nuclear triad along with land-based ICBMs and the bomber force.

Command of the Russian Air Force supports the decision to resume serial production of AN-124 “Ruslan”

30.12.2013 TSAMTO
 
Command of the Air Forces of the Russian Federation supports the decision to resume serial production of AN-124 “Ruslan” in Ulyanovsk. On this, as the “RIA Novosti” reports, the Russian Air Force Commander Lt. Gen. Viktor Bondarev said.

FSB will do exploration with 80 megapixel camera

FSB will do exploration  with 80 megapixel camera

30.12.2013 Izvestiya.ru
 
Federal Security Service (FSB) tests unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) with 80-megapixel cameras and thermal imagers for rapid creation of high-resolution terrain plans during special operations. To quickly bring together a large array of shots to a single map the troops receives a special computer program. Experts believe that the use of non-combat drones will allow to save lives of personnel and to improve the efficiency of operations.

Fatal Bomb Blast Shatters Volgograd Trolleybus

mideastrussia

Fatal Bomb Blast Shatters Volgograd Trolleybus

VOLGOGRAD, December 30 (RIA Novosti) – A fatal bomb explosion ripped apart a trolleybus in Volgograd on Monday morning, killing at least 14 people and injuring dozens, in the second terrorist attack in the southern Russian city in less than 24 hours.

Several of the 28 wounded, who officials said included a six-month-old infant, are in serious condition, meaning the death toll could still rise.

Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said investigators believe a male suicide bomber was responsible for the attack, which he said was linked to another fatal bombing in Volgograd one day earlier.

Authorities believe an explosion at a railway station on Sunday afternoon that killed 17 people and injured over 40 others was also the work of a suicide bomber.

Markin said that remains of both suspected bombers, which were recovered at the scenes, are undergoing DNA testing.

Monday’s blast marks the third such attack in…

View original post 429 more words

More Than A Dozen Killed in Blast at Volgograd Train Station

mideastrussia

More Than A Dozen Killed in Blast at Volgograd Train Station

MOSCOW, December 29 (RIA Novosti) – More than a dozen people were killed Sunday when a blast ripped through a railway station in the southern Russian city of Volgograd in what authorities say was an attack carried out by a suicide bomber.

If confirmed, the presumed attack will prove to have been the second in the city in the space of just a little over two months and will provoke deep anxiety as Russia readies to host the Winter Olympics in Sochi early next year.

Russia’s Investigative Committee said 16 people were killed in the blast that occurred at 12:45 p.m. (0845 GMT) near the metal detectors at the front entrance to Volgograd-1 train station. A total of 14 people died at the scene and two others died at hospital.

A total of 44 people were injured and 37 of them have been hospitalized, a spokesman for Russia’s Health Ministry…

View original post 753 more words

After Series of Delays, Russia Launches New Soyuz Rocket

After Series of Delays, Russia Launches New Soyuz Rocket

MOSCOW, December 28 (RIA Novosti) – A new Soyuz rocket blasted off from the Plesetsk space center in northern Russia on Saturday after numerous delays earlier this week, the Russian Defense Ministry said.

The ministry said the launch took place at 16:30 Moscow time (12:30 GMT).

The rocket put into designated orbit a small research satellite built by students and young scientists.

The new rocket, dubbed the Soyuz-2.1v, is to feature a completely reworked first stage powered by a NK-33 (14D15) rocket engine built by the NK Engines Company in the Russian city of Samara. The rocket lacks the characteristic four boosters that Soyuz and its ancestors have had since the R-7 missile that launched Sputnik in 1957.

The launch was originally scheduled for Monday and was delayed first until Tuesday and then until Wednesday due to concern over a possible malfunction of one of the rocket’s engines.

A Russian defense official, Colonel Dmitry Zenin, said later on Wednesday the launch was postponed again and will take place sometime next year.

A state commission that gathered on Saturday morning, decided to launch the rocket at 14:00, but it was also cancelled minutes before the planned blastoff.

The Soyuz, the most frequently launched rocket in the world, has undergone more than 1,700 launches since its debut in 1966. It is one of only two rockets worldwide that are capable of sending astronauts into orbit, the other being the Chinese Long March 2F.